The Role of District Attorney
Leon Stanback has been unresponsive to numerous requests to carry out the fundamental responsibilities of Durham County's (NC) acting District Attorney, namely: protecting citizens and their rights, victim advocacy (e.g., recovering stolen property) and by prosecuting those who break the law.
Simple enough, right?
As evidenced herein, and throughout this blog, Mr. Stanback appears to be confused about his responsibilities because, as reflected herein, he has been DOING THE OPPOSITE, resulting in what can only be described as sheer "madness".
Notwithstanding, it is unlikely Mr. Stanback (a "retired" Superior Court Judge) could be flummoxed about his responsibilities. Instead, the overwhelming facts suggest he has been KNOWINGLY fulfilling a pivotal role in a nefarious effort to COVER-UP the CRIMINAL ACTIVITIES of another "retired" Superior Court Judge, David Q. LaBarre, who just so happens to be a long-time friend and colleague of Mr. Stanback's.
Can you say "conflict of interest"?
Actions to End the Madness
This blog posting, as well as the widely distributed Jan. 22 Email (below), outlines how Mr. Stanback can demonstrably refute, THROUGH HIS ACTIONS, the damning allegations of wrongdoing and "end the madness" by simply:
- dropping FALSE CHARGES;
- recovering STOLEN PROPERTY; and
- prosecuting THIEVES
Flies in the Ointment
Under normal circumstances, such pedestrian tasks are standard operating procedure for a District Attorney . . . however, the "flies in the ointment" for Mr. Stanback are as follows:
- Judge David Q. LaBarre and his girlfriend, Leah R. Krier (pictured below in the body of
- Ms. Krier has CONFESSED to the THEFT of over $200,000 in home furnishings and a Mercedes Benz S320, and to having possession of this STOLEN PROPERTY, in an admission made to Assistant DA, Kelly Gauger;
- To COVER-UP their FELONIES, LaBarre and his girlfriend colluded to file FALSE CHARGES against the VICTIM of their THEFTS (Spencer C. Young); and
- At Mr. LaBarre's urging, Mr. Stanback had Mr. Young ARRESTED in Florida and INCARCERATED WITHOUT BAIL for 127 days, and then arranged to UNLAWFULLY seize Mr. Young's computers in an attempt to suppress evidence against LaBarre and his girlfriend.
In the context of this egregious abuse of judicial and prosecutorial authority by Durham County officials vested with the public's trust, . . .
. . . this is beyond OUTRAGEOUS.
Mr. Stanback's behavior in this matter (the "LaBarre Larceny Scandal") suggests he is either unaware, or in a state of denial about the gravity of the situation he faces -- for he now finds himself implicated in a level of CRIMINAL WRONGDOING and ABUSE OF AUTHORITY that makes predecessor DA Mike Nifong's misdeeds in the Duke Lacrosse Scandal look like minor traffic infractions.
|The 2006 Duke Men's Lacrosse Team Mike Nifong|
Parallels with the Duke Lacrosse Case
The prosecutorial actions of the current Durham District Attorney Leon Stanback in this matter parallel those of former Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong during the now infamous Duke Lacrosse Case in that:
- Mr. Stanback Recklessly Prosecuted FALSE Charges made by a misguided young woman, Leah R. Krier (Mr. LaBarre's girlfriend), in an effort to COVER-UP the FELONIES she and Judge LaBarre perpetrated; and
- Mr. Nifong Recklessly Prosecuted FALSE Charges made by a similarly misguided young woman (Crystal Mangum).
Michael Young (Mr. Young's eldest son) was victimized by Mr. Nifong's recklessness as a member of the 2006 Duke Men's Lacrosse team as the entire team of innocent student-athletes were vilified in the media and subjected to frequent death threats, while their coach was wrongfully fired and their season was abruptly cancelled. Although Michael was one of the few players who did not attend the infamous party, rumors were swirling he was about to be formally charged -- that is until the attorney Mr. Young hired (Kyle Hall) had presented exculpatory evidence to Mr. Nifong BEFORE the formal charges were announced.
Michael escaped indictment, however his best friend, Collin Finnerty did NOT.
Michael Young and Collin Finnerty grew up together in Manhasset, New York, attended the same private high school (Chaminade) and later attended Duke University, in Durham, NC. So when the FALSE charges of race-based hate crimes, kidnapping, assault and rape erupted on the national scene in 2006, Mr. Young was thus availed an insider's perspective to the trials and tribulations of the WRONGFULLY accused.
Mr. Young personally observed (and vicariously experienced as a loving parent) the debilitating effect the FALSE charges had on ALL members of the Duke Lacrosse Team, as well as the devastating impact the BOGUS indictment had on young Collin. In fact, Collin became so disillusioned and repulsed by the horrific treatment he received at the hands of a RECKLESS Durham District Attorney (Mike Nifong), while being effectively ABANDONED by Duke University, he relocated to a different state (Maryland) and finished his undergraduate years at Loyola University, where he served as Captain of its Division I Lacrosse team.
Six years later, Mr. Young experienced first-hand a similarly AUDACIOUS and PREVARICATED assault on his civil liberties and dignity, manifested by FALSE criminal charges zealously pursued by yet another RECKLESS Durham District Attorney (Leon Stanback). He thus unintentionally gained an especially unique and insightful perspective.
|Collin Finnerty & Michael Young (May 2004), |
Prior to Picking Up Their Dates for H.S Prom
|2008 Senior Class Members of the 2006 Duke Lacrosse Team|
Michael Young (#27) is second from left & Collin Finnerty is in the Middle
So Is This Deja Vu?
Durham County has clearly NOT learned from its profoundly embarrassing mistakes of six years ago, and the matter at hand is metaphorically likened to a bolt of mendacious lightning that has struck the same place (Durham, NC) and in the same manner (instigated by the outlandish LIES of a deluded woman).
At first blush, it would seem only the faces have changed in these remarkably linked scandals, as illustrated below:
Duke Lacrosse Scandal vs. LaBarre Larceny Scandal
(2006 - 2007) (2011 - 2013)
The Instigating LIARS
Crystal Mangum Leah R. Krier
(in actual NY Post) (in envisaged NY Post)
The Innocent VICTIMS:
|Seligmann-Finnerty-Evans Spencer C. Young|
The Reckless PROSECUTORS:
|DA Mike Nifong DA Leon Stanback|
Durham Remains a Broken Municipality
The striking similarities in these scandals portray Durham County as a broken municipality, where unbridled corrupt influence rewards deceit, ignores civil rights, mocks the Constitution and exhibits disdain for human dignity.
And yet as horrific a chapter the Duke Lacrosse Scandal turned out to be, the LaBarre Larceny Scandal is actually FAR WORSE because of the nature of its "assault on American civil liberties", and because the Durham District Attorney that made it possible (Leon Stanback) has engaged in behaviors that take the reckless prosecution of FALSE charges to an entirely new level, as described in the next section.
Abuse of Prosecutorial Authority
Leon Stanback's reckless behavior in the LaBarre Larceny Scandal has been far worse than that demonstrated by Mike Nifong in the Duke Lacrosse Scandal because Mr. Stanback . . .
- Prosecuted charges against Mr. Young, which he knew to be FALSE, with the intent to aid and abet the felonies perpetrated by LaBarre and others;
- Arrested Mr. Young via SWAT team on FALSE charges and jailed him WITHOUT BAIL;
- Prepared PERJURED extradition documents for signature by then Gov. Bev Perdue;
- Pursued Mr. Young's extradition to NC which he KNEW to be FATALLY DEFECTIVE;
- Executed the WRONGFUL SEIZURE of Mr. Young's computers in an effort to SUPPRESS EVIDENCE against his friend, Mr. LaBarre and his girlfriend;
- Failed to drop the charges against Mr. Young after Ms. Krier had CONFESSED to the thefts and to having possession of his stolen property;
- Failed to RECOVER and return Mr. Young's STOLEN property;
- IGNORED the complaint filed against LaBarre, despite overwhelming evidence of Grand Larceny, Fraudulent Conversion & AutoTheft, as well as abuse of judicial authority;
- Undertook other illicit actions with the express INTENT to COVER-UP the FELONIES of his friend and colleague, Judge LaBarre, his girlfriend and unsavory complicit others; and
- Deliberately wasted hundreds of thousands in taxpayer dollars in an elaborate and vicious assault on American civil liberties, as outlined in the section that follows.
Vicious Assault on American Civil Liberties
In the Duke Lacrosse Scandal, three student-athletes were WRONGFULLY indicted and arrested on FALSE charges. For purposes of this comparative analysis, it is important to keep in mind they spent no time in jail, as they were comfortably availed advanced notice, and were allowed to voluntarily surrender and immediately post bail, all of which were coordinated with their respective criminal defense attorneys.
By comparison, Spencer C. Young (who has NO CRIMINAL RECORD) was:
- Violently arrested without warning by a US Marshal SWAT team
- Stripped searched and detained in a holding cell with violent felons
- Not provided ANY details of the charges against him for 3 months
- Denied access to an attorney
- Denied the opportunity to post bail for 127 days
- Prevented from making phone calls to family members or friends
- Placed in solitary confinement for mentally disturbed inmates
- Later transferred into "maximum security" with the most violent felons
- Regularly subjected to physical threats by severely deranged inmates
- Psychologically tortured (e.g. denied privileges for pretended offenses)
- Physically tortured (e.g. denied medical treatment for a broken bone)
- Subjected to ongoing emotional trauma via intentional sleep deprivation
- Extradited over two days in an over-crowded van with hands & legs shackled
- Often denied personal hygiene privileges; and
- Administered drugs to dangerously elevate his blood pressure
Is This Really Worth the Risk?
|Leon & Michelle Stanback|
The Truth is this: Your actions in the LaBarre Larceny Scandal substantially exceed the wrongdoings of Mr. Nifong in the Duke Lacrosse Scandal and evidence:
- an egregious abuse of prosecutorial authority;
- a vicious assault on American civil liberties; and
- complicity in the COVER-UP of FELONIES perpetrated by your friend and fellow retired Superior Court Judge, David Q. LaBarre, along with his girlfriend and others.
And by TIMELY doing so, you will end this madness, and likely distance yourself (and your family) from the SIGNIFICANT downside you may otherwise experience.
The Jan. 22 Email to District Attorney Leon Stanback
From: Spencer C. Young <email@example.com>
To: LStanback <LStanback@aol.com>; 9196146062 <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Cc: rrobinson <email@example.com>; dgerman <firstname.lastname@example.org>; gtart <email@example.com>; ncago <firstname.lastname@example.org>; dfarrell <email@example.com>; ncba <firstname.lastname@example.org>; Charlotte.public <Charlotte.email@example.com>; robert.mueller <firstname.lastname@example.org>; today <email@example.com>; ontherecord <firstname.lastname@example.org>; nightly <nightly@NBC.com>; foxreport <email@example.com>; special <firstname.lastname@example.org>; Hannity <Hannity@foxnews.com>; oreilly <email@example.com>; fair <firstname.lastname@example.org>; letters <email@example.com>; newstips <firstname.lastname@example.org>; news-tips <email@example.com>; letters <firstname.lastname@example.org>; wt <email@example.com>; online <firstname.lastname@example.org>; letters <email@example.com>; tips <firstname.lastname@example.org>; newsletters <email@example.com>; bloomberg <firstname.lastname@example.org>; info <email@example.com>; dtalbot <firstname.lastname@example.org>; editor <email@example.com>; writers <firstname.lastname@example.org>; press <email@example.com>; tips <firstname.lastname@example.org>; newsmanager <email@example.com>; cnnbreakingnews <firstname.lastname@example.org>; letters <email@example.com>; NNBNBCountdown <NNBNBCountdown@msnbc.com>; dateline <firstname.lastname@example.org>; letters <email@example.com>; evening <firstname.lastname@example.org>; earlyshow <email@example.com>; 60m <firstname.lastname@example.org>; wsj.ltrs <email@example.com>; letters <firstname.lastname@example.org>; editor <email@example.com>; joanne.crosby <firstname.lastname@example.org>; 48hours <email@example.com>; ftn <firstname.lastname@example.org>; info <email@example.com>; scoop <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Tue, Jan 22, 2013 12:02 pm
Subject: Durham DA Leon Stanback Asked to Execute THREE Simple Tasks To Avoid Similar Circus of a Duke Lacrosse Scandal
To: Durham District Attorney Leon StanbackDoing so will naturally distance yourself from the same disgraceful fate of your predecessor (Mike Nifong) had suffered, who also zealously prosecuted what he knew (or should have known) to be FALSE charges of a misguided young woman (Crystal Mangum) in the Duke Lacrosse Scandal. In the matter at hand the misguided young woman is Mr. LaBarre's girlfriend, Leah R. Krier, who was directed by Mr. LaBarre to carry out numerous FELONIES and then provided FALSE assurances of immunity from prosecution. In carrying out Task # 3 above, it is IMPORTANT you demonstrate by your actions that NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW, most especially Judges who abuse their judicial authority, as Mr. LaBarre did.
As noted in the blog post titled: "Durham COVER-UP: Judge David Q. LaBarre And His Girlfriend, Leah R. Krier, are NOT Above The Law" you are AGAIN asked to undertake what should (under normal circumstances, devoid of corrupt influence) be THREE simple tasks in the discharge of your mandated responsibilities, namely:
- Drop the FALSE charges against Spencer C. Young [which were made to COVER-UP the CRIMES of Durham Judge David Q. LaBarre and his girlfriend, Leah R. Krier (pictured together below)];
- Return Mr. Young's stolen property, including his WRONGFULLY SEIZED computer equipment, taken in an attempt to suppress the damning evidence against LaBarre and his girlfriend); and
- Prosecute the TRUE CRIMINALS in this matter - namely LaBarre, his girlfriend and the other accomplices identified in the Criminal Complaint filed on July 2, 2012
Judge LaBarre is pictured above with his girlfriend Leah R. Krier in December 2010, just a few months before they embarked on crime spree that spanned SIX months (from March 2011 to September 2011), involving Grand Larceny, Fraudulent Conversion & Auto Theft, and then followed in July 2012 with Obstruction of Justice, Criminal Invasion of Privacy, MORE Grand Larceny, and with regard to Mr. LaBarre, Abuse of Judicial Authority and a variety of other "color of law" (FBI parlance) violations. In arresting their robbery victim (i.e., Spencer C. Young) through the filing of FALSE CHARGES to COVER-UP their CRIMES, they also demonstrated profound level of EVIL.
Sincerely,Spencer C. Young